The CIUSSS Centre Ouest Cardiac Rehabilitation Center (CCO-CRC) is a program with the goal of helping participants recover from a cardiac event and prevent further incidence. Participating in a cardiac rehabilitation program has shown to reduce the risk of another event by at least 25%. This is accomplished through exercise, education, and management of the heart disease and cardiovascular risk factors. Participants in the CCO-CRC program are guided through supervised exercise sessions with kinesiologists in order to gain confidence in their regular activities and to learn what they can do safely. Our multi-professional team also assists participants with:
- Integrating regular physical activity into their lifestyle
- Returning to work (efficiently)
- Engaging in healthy eating habits
- Smoking cessation
- Managing stress and anxiety
- Understanding medications
Cost: Covered by RAMQ
Duration: 3-4 months
Where: Richardson Hospital (some components available through tele-rehabilitation)
What to expect:
- Intake consultation with a Registered Nurse and Cardiologist to determine safety to participate in the program, and to manage cardiovascular risk factors
- Consultation with a Kinesiologist to assess level of fitness, and to prepare a customized exercise plan
- Consultation with a Dietitian to guide the participant with healthy nutrition choices
- On site supervised and/or virtual exercise sessions, with gradual elaboration of a home program
- Weekly educational capsules and monthly workshops related to cardiac health
- Consultation with a Psychologist, an Occupational therapist, a Physiotherapist, or a Social Worker if deemed necessary by the treating team
Please note we have adjusted our site to comply with public health recommendations related to the present COVID-19 pandemic. Some services could be modified or unavailable during this period. We offer a full or hybrid tele-rehabilitation program for those who choose to stay at home during these times.
Administration : Marcela Jiminez
Cardiology : Dr. Mark Smilovitch, Dr. Ann Walling
Nursing care : Samira Majidi, Suzanna Mlakar
Kinesiology : Lisa Masse (Clinical coordinator), Charles-Emanuel Côté, Marie-Pierre Tournier, Patricia René, Céleste Desrosiers
Physiotherapy : Tim Halal
Nutrition : Catherine Pigeon
Psychology : Cindy Potechin
Occupational therapy : Coming soon
Social work : Mélissa de Larochellière
Any individual diagnosed with an acute coronary syndrome in the last 6 months. This includes:
- Stable or Unstable angina
- Myocardial Infarctus (heart attack)
- Coronary angioplasty with or without stent
- Coronary artery bypass graft surgery
Patients treated at the Jewish General Hospital, at the McGill University Health Center and those followed by a cardiologist located in the CIUSSS Centre-Ouest territory are eligible for the program.
Referrals coming from the cardiology units at the hospitals are sent automatically by the discharge team with accompanying documents. It is also possible to refer your patients from the cardiology clinics. The referral form must be completed by a Cardiologist, Cardiac surgeon, Resident in cardiology or a Nurse practitioner in cardiology.
The Cardiac Rehabilitation Center is located within the Richardson Hospital, at the corner of Bessborough avenue and chemin Côte-Saint-Luc.
Participants can use the parking spots indicated in yellow below when they access the hospital parking lot at 6440 chemin Côte-Saint-Luc (red star on plan).
The parking is free for 2 hours when you grab a parking ticket at the booth near the entrance. You will need to log your license plate at the booth. We are located on the ground floor, room JR36.
Parking is also available in the nearby streets, be sure to respect parking restrictions.
CIUSSS Centre-Ouest – Cardiac Rehabilitation Center (CCO-CRC)
Julius Richardson Hospital, room JR36 (ground floor)
5425, Bessborough avenue, Montréal, Québec, H4V 2S7
Phone: 514-484-7878 ext. 62134;